Cold area from a small roof space. How to make air tight and insulate

Is the bathroom against an external wall? If so you need to make that airtight and insulate the wall between plaster wall and ceiling below. If your entire inter-storey space is draught proofed in this way there will be no need to make the bathroom floor airtight but in the meantime tape the floor to the wall and plaster down to the tape (or use Blowerproof on the brick - other brands exist). You could rely on floor vinyl to cover other gaps, particularly if this is part of a larger staged retrofit.

You don’t want to be air tightening each room in turn only to find you have air passing between rooms (in stud or block walls) and storeys (between floor and ceiling) sucking out all the warmth.

The solid block wall is to the outside(with a cavity). Also the top of the cavity is the roof which is partially insulated by fibre glass between the joists. The heat loss will be through the roof, so should that interface be made airtight?

Ideally the inner leaf to ceiling should be airtight. If the inner leaf is very porous then it should be made airtight over its entire surface. That would be part of a major retrofit unless the walls are already wet plastered rather than boarded. Then just the inter storey surface needs treatment.

There shouldn’t be plumes of high relative humidity air coming up through the cavity, particularly as it is insulated. If you believe that there are, then the top of the cavity needs serious airtight capping, but that is a symptomatic treatment, not a cure. The source of the humid air needs to be found and eliminated.

A common source of abundant humid air in a cavity is unlined airbricks. Check that all airbricks are lined and the lining/wall interfaces are airtight. Another source is where penetrations have been made for pipes, wires and ducts. All such penetrations need to be airtight to both leaves of the wall, inside and out.

I have started work on our bathroom cavity, what do you think? I am going to clear out the mess first as there is a lot of waste left behind. I think I need to make the plasterboard side airtight. There are holes for pipes for example. Most of the brick wall is internal.

The bathroom needs to be air tight to the roof space and to my mind vapour proof too, although adequate roof space ventilation should compensate for small amounts of vapour getting into the roof.

Ventilation of the roof is a whole topic in its own right.

I have opened up the area in one of the bedrooms. I can see why the ground floor ceiling and 1st floor is cold. Air is coming through the old fibreglass and under the floor, also there is an air gap between the stud wall and chipboard.

I am thinking fill the space between the joists with 200mm rockwool and tuck in under the floor then cover over with something to make the space air tight. Then fill with more rockwool.

1 Like

I see that in places efforts have been made to remedy insulation, possibly at the time of installation. Most probably someone who didn’t have our understanding was just doing their job. What you have photographed is all too normal.

Make sure that any insulation over the airtight layer is as least double the thickness of what is below, otherwise you risk the membrane getting cold and condensation forming on the inside, soaking into insulation and timber. A vapour permeable barrier over the insulation will minimise wind washing and clogging of air pores in the insulation.

See also

I have opted to us air tight membrane on the ground floor ceiling then wrap over the joists. Then bonding and taping to the blocks for the internal wall. I have also taped to the inner stud wall. The membrane is now a pocket to fill with insulation and then overlay. A breather membrane has also been fixed to the roof joists to stop wind washing and dirt degrading the insulation.

1 Like

I have a question about the master bedroom. We have opened it up today and found the inner wall is incomplete at one end. I can’t fasten the airtight membrane securely at this area. Any suggestions?

As others can confirm, home retrofit never quite goes as expected. Where there are upstanding blocks I would smooth off/fill in with mortar. Although not strictly necessary it will give a less abrasive surface to rub the corners and edges of the airtight membrane over its lifetime.

The options seem to be to fit new blocks to the top of the wall, fit timber or find some PIR off cuts to cut and fit as an end wall to the insulation. The use of the PIR off cuts is probably the option with lowest carbon footprint (as the material would otherwise be scrapped) and the easiest to work with. There is however the additional option of moving the edge of the insulation to overlap the cavity, improving the thermal bridge between roof and wall insulation.

I have often asked for PIR offcuts from a skip and never been refused.

Thanks @Tim_Gilbert i have spare 100mm PIR i will use that.

I would say that insulating our two bedrooms roof space has had a positive effect. We haven’t had to change to winter duvets and the amount of gas used for november is 95kwh less than November 2022. I looked at temperature data from the met office and November 2022 was 1.8c above average, November 2023 was -0.1 below average. Our usage for this November was 1504 kwh so is this a high figure for a 3 bedroom detached house?

1 Like

It isn’t really possible to say what is high or low usage for a particular house as there are so many variables apart from Δt between inside and out.

The main variable that most comparison tables use is the floor area. How big is your floor area in square metres?

The EPC says 186 square metres

Provided you have fairly right angles in your house the area will be fairly accurate. My house doesn’t and no two surveys agree on area!

Your usage is your kWh/area for one month. Now I need to check and report back!

Also our summer usage for hot water and cooking was 425 kwh for july.

So, your month’s usage is 8.95kWh/m² month .

Passivhaus specifies max. 15kWh/m² year.
EnerPHit specifies max. 20kWh/m² year.
Low Energy Building … 30kWh/m² year.
In 2022 I used 53kWh/m² year.

In November I used 952.33kWh, or 6.5kWh/m² .

I can’t compare November this year as I am no longer on gas. :innocent:

Regarding the summer use, I have cooked on induction for 17 years and my solar thermal has met my spring to autumn hot water requirements for 20 years.

Is there a way of correlating the gas usage to a heat pump size? I don’t think we could switch over at the moment as I think the house is losing to much heat. I assume there is a way of doing this in a detailed way or I suppose get a survey done?

For a rough idea try this: