HEMS January Update

As a first stage from my perspective, I would want to be able to switch on my EV charger or immersion heater at the cheapest rates before a certain price. The EV charger could just “fill up” until full. But, for the Immersion heater some sort of feedback device/sensor/method would be required to say “switch off at a certain temperature”.

Hi Peter! When you create a reply there should be a few different settings and options in the bar above the box you can upload a file or image. I have circled it in red in the screenshot below.

Then when you have selected an image file and uploaded it, it will look like this and display the image in the preview and your post.

Also this blog gives a bit more information about a few ways you can upload images.

This is a bit more tricky, since I think what @Jess_Fairbairn uploaded earlier was a gif rather than a video, and the resolution is quite low hence the size. It might be possible to view it larger by right clicking on it and pressing ‘view image’ which should open it separately from there using CTRL and your scroll wheel you should be able to zoom in. For the future, it might be helpful if these instructional gifs were uploaded in a larger resolution!

@mattfranklin Concerning right clicking on a video

I’ve tried using “Open image in new tab” and “Open image in new window” but it does not make the image any larger.

On my Mac I previously had to use Command & + to get larger text and image.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 16.29.53

This is what I have created with the gauge confirmation card. Ideally I want to show the time and date on it. Anyone any ideas?

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 20.58.44
And this is what it shows later in the evening,

OK I’ve set up an automation for tonight - if Agile tariff goes below 7.5p then my Sunamp HW storage will boost. In theory there will be 1no 1/2hr slot during the night where this condition applies. So hopefully that is what I will see. I haven’t tried it earlier because Agile rates have been a little to high for comfort.

1 Like

Great @zapaman can you share the automation details so I can try it with my immersion heater and eventually on my EV. I assume you have integrated the Octopus Agile API?

Re: automation details - Is there a way of sharing automation cards within HA? Or does this have to be done at admin level?

@zapaman - I would be interested to know the context in which you are using your Sunamp HW Storage system. I’m interested in exploring the possibility of using it in my home - particularly if I stop using my gas boiler to top up the hot water - when I’m not getting enough solar thermal hot water

1 Like

OK it worked fine;

This is the automation I used to turn ON the Sunamp relay

I used a similar “opposite” automation to make sure the Sunamp turned OFF when price went above 7.6p!
I will adjust the price threshold to something like 6.5p for a more long term setting. It would also potentially be good to have the threshold set dynamically based on the mean unit price experienced over the last (say) 3days such that you can take advantage of relatively low prices after a period of higher prices if that makes sense.

Assuming you are using solar thermal into a suitable HW cylinder/tank then you may have the possibility of just adding an immersion coil and a relay control to that in order to use the Home Assistant / Agile tariff automation (see below). Alternatively you could add a Sunamp in series with your existing HW cylinder and do something similar to what I am currently doing. Do you also have solar PV?