W/o HEMS - which energy monitors?

I’d be interested to know what electricity monitors people would recommend. Initially I wanted to determine how much of my PV I am using so I bought a Shelly EM to use with Rasp Pi and Home Assistant which has two current transducers (CT) but I didn’t yet install because of lockdown. Now Shelly have a ‘3EM’ with 3 CTs which would then allow me to monitor my heat pump when I get it. And now there is another US product which I assume would work here - Emporia Vue with 8 CTs for $110 or 16 CTs for little more. That would allow me to monitor every way/ circuit. Or I could abandon the RaspPi and go down the Open Energy Monitor route.
Grateful for recommendations and experiences.

2 Likes

I use the Shelly EM and have it installed in my mains box - it wasn’t hard to do.
The 3EM is mainly designed for 3 phase systems I think.
If I was you I would install the EM with home assistant, and then get another one for your heat pump or other loads when you have them online.
They are cheap and well supported by the home assistant ecosystem.
Note: I needed to get the larger of the two current clamps to fit around my main electrical wire.

2 Likes

Hi Peter. Thats interesting. How do you supply power to the EM? I don’t have a socket nearby so I thought I would have to supply it from the consumer unit and that it is too scary a prospect for me (and probably needs to be certified?). As the connections are bare I thought I would have to put it in an enclosure or inside the consumer unit.
Thanks. Chris.

I installed it in the consumer unit - the EM is inside the consumer unit box and it is connected to one of the RCD’s.
It may need to be certified, I do not know. An electrician that did some work in my flat recently didn’t seem to have an issue with it.
I should state that as CC staff I am not suggesting or recommending anyone goes poking about with mains electricity or their consumer unit.

2 Likes

Hi Peter. No I’m sure you’re not! :smile: Just a bit too much for me. Thanks for sharing your experience. Cheers. Chris