Sheepwool Insulation

Just over a year ago we installed Sheepwool insulation in our loft.
We wanted a natural insulation, with low embodied carbon that didn’t off gas.
After a rip out of old plaster boards, we recovered that all important loft ventilation, that had been blocked up and the cause of damp. After the clear up and cleanout we installed sheep wool insulation into our cold loft space.
We went with a product aptly named - Sheepwool with Ionic Protect
When we purchased the wool we did all generic checks and research online - fire safety, pest resistance, R and U values, thickness of insulation, environmental attributes, sustainability, embodied carbon and installation specification etc etc .

Easy and pleasant to install - it required no masks or gloves. Once installed it markedly changed the climate feel in the loft - from damp and musty to fresh and airy.
Very much impressed, we couldn’t understand why sheep’s wool isn’t used more widely and so wanted to open a conversation about it.
So here we are sharing our sheepwool insulation experience so far…

After installing the wool in the summer , we were in the loft regularly to check on things and to install some loft storage boards.
All was well, until December when we went up to loft to retrieve our Christmas decorations -condensation was pouring down the roofliner. Horrified, help quickly came from our Carbon Coop community members.
It was explained that hot air from the house below was escaping up into the cold winter air in the loft above and this was causing the condensation on the cold surface of our old plastic roofliner!!
Turns out we hadn’t sufficiently insulated the loft hatch or a stud wall, which was open into the loft space above - the stud wall housed the hot water pipes from the bathroom and was the source of a lot of the hot air . Armed with this knowledge, we quickly remedied the problem - stuffing the gaps and filling the cracks with insulation .
Addtionally, we were advised to install a windshear layer to go on top of the insulation, after the wool had aired out in the summer. Incidentally , the wool didn’t get too wet and we felt assured in it’s unique hydroscopic 'breathable 'qualities, which allow it to absorb up to 33% of its weight in water without compromising the insulation.

Roll on the summer again and our desire to really get stuck into our retrofit!
We were advised to top up the wool from 20cm to 30cm, so we invested in some more. As well as this we thought it wise to follow up on a ventilation check and spec for the loft - especially because of the prior damp and condensation issues. We will be having the ventilation survey next week.
Meanwhile, we further researched information about sheeps wool insulation and learned some people in the past have experienced infestations and mould growth.
We already know that mould can grow on lots of insulations if the conditions allow it - indeed our loft seems like a candidate for those conditions , hence the wise decision to have a ventilation check.

As well as this, we learned about modern methods, treatments and standards being developed to prevent moth infestations in the wool .
We discovered the current situation is some wools treated to prevent infestations use a product called Isolena or Ionic Protect - this seems to have become the recognised EU industry standard since 2016 - and it has replaced the former treatment called Thorlan IW.

Being relatively new, there isn’t much out there which looks at the success of treated installations with wool that has the Ionic Protect. I’m the only person I know so far, who has this type of wool insulation.

Moreover, sheepwool is a fantastic insulation product with some very unique advantages, but not enough press to support it - so I’m hoping our little forum focus here might attract more people with sheepwool installations to join in the conversation.

For further information, I attached some information links I discovered that discuss sheepwool insulation.

An overview of sheepwool by the Greenage
https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/using-sheep-wool-to-insulate-my-loft/

Blogspot about Ionic Protect
https://www.chimneysheep.co.uk/blog/operation-wool-the-mission-to-defeat-clothes-moths/

Youtube video in German with English Subtitles about Ionic Protect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M5atYkcqlY

Talks about problems with sheepwool and success of ionic protect turning the tide against moth infestation.
https://www.heritage-house.org/stuff-about-old-buildings/insulation/sheepwool-insulation-and-moth-infestation.html

Insulation comparison table sourced online
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EzrewsO6lcEqZ0X2FxdnxK2qFmSJ84XencRj-1QYS3I/edit#gid=0

A German paper - which approves Isolena over Thorlan IW as new EU standard in prevention of insect infestation in sheep wool
https://www.eggbi.eu/fileadmin/EGGBI/PDF/Mottenschutz_fuer_Schafwolldaemmstoffe.pdf

The Google short version intro in English for the German paper mentioned above
https://www.eggbi.eu/fileadmin/EGGBI/PDF/Mottenschutz_fuer… · PDF file

1. Mitin FF/ Thorlan IW (no longer approved in Europe as moth protection) 8. Ionic Protect (current EGGBI recommendation since 2016) 3.1 Pyrethroids In order to ensure a permanent “structural damage-free” function of the insulation material sheep’s wool, it must be equipped with an active ingredient against moth infestation.
2 Likes

Hi @pottyone72 - read with interest! I would like to consider this type of insulation in the loft space (no pipes up there).How are things with it a few years on? Thank-you

I am also looking at Sheepswool insulation (specifically, Isolena with Ionic Protect) for internal walls and floors inside a new build CLT house. Any reviews would be appreciated from experienced users!

Hi Brigid :blush:welcome to the forum :wave:

As you will have read my loft was incredibly problematic - everything that could’ve gone wrong went wrong after we’d cleared the loft, bought the insulation and put it down ourselves.
A series of events that had we had the hindsight before we laid the insulation we could’ve saved ourselves a huge amount of stress, expense and a hell of a lot of backbreaking work. The latter proved to be the worst.

Hopefully, you will be able to have the benefit of our experience.

First of all, I would be doing a series of checks before laying any kind of insulation; The evidence of problems was there in our loft , but we just didn’t know what to look for.

The best time to check is in winter - below 5 degrees, thats when you’ll see if you have any condensation problems.

Stack effect (warm air rising , via heat from rooms below ) can happen through uninsulated plasterboard ceilings as well as pipes in stud walls, uninsulated loft hatches and even from neighbouring lofts with openings in the dividing walls .
The main sign that any kind of stack effect happening will be condensation on your roof felt, tiles, roof timbers or walls . Have a good look when it’s cold.
We had watermarks on our roof timbers too.

I’m also wondering about other factors

• what kind of roof you have
  • age of property
  • type of property
  • do you already have insulation down
  • what type of construction are the ceilings below
  • does your roof need any repairs that you’re aware of

Overall, sheepwool is wonderful, but the loft HAS to be dry , if it isn’t the wool can get mouldy.
It’s also said that sheepwool can attract moth infestation - our sheepwool is treated with something called isolena.

It’s absolutely fine - not an insect in sight apart from the odd dead wasp or bee.