Replacement Windows

I need to replace some old (20-30 years old) double glazing windows in a rural cottage which is subject to quite strong winds - anyone got any hints on what to go for? Are there are features I should look out for or avoid?

Thanks in advance…

Any of the big window suppliers will claim that their windows are gale proof. Maybe they are, although my Everest ones are not. The weak points are where the windows are fixed to the walls. If you are worried about air leakage then go for Passivhaus windows if you can afford them, fitted by the supplier’s approved team to Passivhaus airtightness standards. Such frames are usually wider than standard British ones which also gives scope for additional fixings to prevent the windows being dislodged by high winds.
While doing the windows consider insulating the reveals too. Where there is least distance to the outside is where the walls will be coolest and the humidity highest.

There was an event a few months back with the green building store about windows. It may be worth watching it back on the carbon coop YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhDHtqfUa3s). I got the impression that the detailing on the install was a really important factor. A good window installed poorly may perform like an average window installed well. Poorly installed doesn’t even just mean poor workmanship, but also just not thinking about things like where the window sits in relation to wall insulation, air sealing tapes etc.

The green building store people certainly sounded like they knew what they were doing.

2 Likes

I would look no further than Green Building Store windows.

I did a lot of research when we were having our house refurbished (to be fair not in a rural cottage) and got quotes from 20+ firms. There was nothing to get close to GBS on the combination of quality and cost. Add to that superb customer service and there is nothing not to like.
I have not regretted the decision to go with GBS for a second.
Alan

Unfortunately Green Building Store are struggling to get window orders shipped to the UK and will only cost up big builds. Even my request for 8 windows and a porch door were not enough.

1 Like

I can echo that, plus their delivery charge was almost as much as the door I was after. Apparently they don’t do combined deliveries (I said I could wait until they had another order in the same area to share costs).

Hello Anyone find an alternative to Green Building Store who will both supply and fit windows in UK?

I have found a company, Rockdoor, that does doors only (which is what I’m after) whose website claims they are A energy rated. I am awaiting a response regarding what that means in U value. They allegedly have a network of installers.

I have also contacted Ecosperic, listed above, about their doors and enquire about fitting.

When I have answers I will post them here.

1 Like

Ecospheric have replied with the following

Hello Tim,

Thanks for your interest in our products. We supply windows and doors in a range of styles from Viking Window AS in Estonia.
We can usually offer a french door with one larger opening leaf and one smaller leaf; but because our units are manufactured bespoke and imported from Europe, we have a minimum order size of 5 items due to import fees, delivery and handling charges being the same whether it is a large or small order. The cost of delivery to site is included in the price; however, for very large items, additional off-loading services may be required and this would incur an additional fee.
Please click here to view a brochure with more information about our products. Our windows and doors are manufactured in bespoke sizes and finishes, and can meet a number of performance requirements including double glazing, triple glazing and Passivhaus certification. The units are manufactured from FSC certified glued laminated pine - for sustainability and dimensional stability.
If you’d like to view some of our previous window installations, please have a look at our gallery of window projects.
If you think you may be ordering 5 units or more, please provide the following information so we can create an initial estimate and schedule for your review. Please take a rough measurement of your windows along with some photos. For each window, we’ll need the following information:

• window location (ground floor or first floor, which room it’s in)
  • width (mm or cm)
  • height (mm or cm)
  • how many sashes in each window open and which ones open
  • please indicate whether you’d like double glazing or triple glazing
    If your project involves a new build or extension, please provide a window schedule from your architect outlining the required dimensions, opening types, and specification (u-values, emergency egress windows, safety glass, etc).
    In regards to lead times, we can typically deliver your windows within 7-9 weeks from the point of finalising the order. This may vary depending on the production schedule at the time of ordering.
    Please note we are a supply-only company, so you will need to obtain a separate quote from a window installation company or your general contractor (if you are undertaking a larger renovation or new build). We will provide technical support for whichever installer you appoint; however, because the specification and installation of high performance glazing units can be quite complex, we would recommend you choose an installer with experience fitting Passivhaus or high performance windows. We can also provide you with some contacts for window installers if required.
    Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Tiffany
Tiffany Chong
Office: 0161 533 0965 | Windows: 0161 533 0963
Lymm Hall | Cheshire | WA13 0AJ

As I am after one door set and possibly a window above I shalln’t be taking it any further. They didn’t answer about installers.

I have found that

have a network of installers. They have two near me.

Edit: odd. I’m sure I was reading about their Passivhaus range and now can’t find it.

Hello Tim.
Watching your progress. Thanks for sharing. Do carry on.
Keren