Enlarging my crawl space - Party Wall Act

Hi

I’m hoping to deepen my crawl space for a number of reasons, primarily easier access as its only 300mm and also to encapsulate it.

My question is with the Party Wall Act. So with section 28 below, do I need to advise my neighbour regardless or only if I’m going further than the foundations which isn’t my intention. If the inspection pit shows I would need to go beyond the foundations then surveyor will be called in. (Cost of under pinning will probs shelve the idea anyway)
————————
28 What does the Act say if I want to excavate near neighbouring buildings?
If you plan to:
 excavate, or excavate for and construct foundations for a new building or structure, within 3 metres of any part of a neighbouring owner’s building or structure, where any part of that work will go deeper than the neighbour’s foundations.
————————
Thanks in advance for you time and help.

Brian

Hi Brian. I’m sorry I can’t help with the Party Wall Act but I can’t help being curious (nosy!) about the intent. It seems like a lot of work to insulate the floor. The safest (i.e .safest for integrity of the building, minimising risk from moisture etc…) is usually to remove a wooden floor and install an insulated solid floor. If you’re going to be lifting the floor to excavate, then you may as well either put in a solid floor or insulate the timber floor from above. When you say encapsulate I think that means using foam - is that correct. I’m still learning and interested to understand different situations that can arise. Cheers. Chris.

Hi Chris
No problem and thanks for showing an interest in my post.

If I can enlarge the crawl space I hope to run some services from there and ducting for a heat pump. I want to utilise the chimney breast as a service duct to run utilities from the crawl space to each floor.

To encapsulate is to insulate and water proof the area with a vapour barrier, I’ve added photos

Wow - thats a project with huge ambition. Sorry I can’t help. I’ll be interested to learn more so please share as you go along.

No worries Chris. I certainly will. Thanks again.

1 Like

Just for anyone wanting to know the answer, it is only if I dig below the foundations will I have to advise my neighbour. Hopefully the test put will be good news.

1 Like

I’m curious. Any updates on this?

I have a small, useless, crawl space and following AECB advice an thinking of tanking it and filling the void with insulation with a floating floor above.