Electric stand alone heaters

Are the Radbots quite noisy? I lodged in a room with Wifi enabled TRVs for six months and every morning I would be woken by the servo motors winding the valve open, which I’d set for ~20 minutes before I wanted to wake up so the room would be warm in time! It’s put me off buying any for my own house. (Sorry for replying so long after the original post!)

1 Like

I don’t find the noise a problem at all, just a low noise “werring” sound for about 3 secs. Had one in my bedroom and it never woke me up, and I’m a very light sleeper. They are good

1 Like

Still trying to wean away from gas. We’re now looking at electric heaters. We 're not interested in heating whole house, as we feel we should be heating the person and only turning on heating in the rooms where people are.

We want to try an electric heater and came across this.

Does anyone have these or understand the spec enough to compare running costs. They seem to be boasting a lot about efficiency etc…

NEOS Electric Radiator - Trust Electric Heating.

With resistive heating (with a heating element) you can always expect 100% efficiency. 1kWh electricity used: 1 KWh heat out. No ifs or buts.

The difference between models is the distribution of the output. Some give out the heat super fast and cool down as soon as the power is disconnected (e.g. old style bar heaters or fan heaters). Others at the other extreme cool down very slowly (such as storage heaters) but the total heat output in all cases is the same.

Don’t believe the marketing blurb about efficiency but by all means look at the output curve, particularly if you want to charge up your heating during cheap rates.

Agree with Tim re 1 in 1 out - recently put some of these in as they are all connected over Wifi so you can program each room temperature based on what you need and when (and remotely via an app too!); Electric Radiators | World-Class Manufacturing | Haverland UK

Well, a lot had happened since I was last on this thread. We have been very fortunate and have had a solar install on the Green Grant.
We can’t afford a battery and we’re aware that it’s better we use the energy produced rather than exporting it.
Electric heating seems like the obvious choice.

We’re thinking about storage heaters that we can heat up ready to release heat in the evening - when we’re all home from work.
We can also see how we might need instant heat in the daytime too and wondered about a model of storage heater that can do this.

I think our next step is learning about the mathematical equations used to work out running costs and energy consumption - to enable us in to make the most energy efficient choices when choosing new appliances etc.

I actually think this should be a workshop for house holders to help them budget in these financially testing times🙄 @cc_staff:100:

Carla, did you join the Octopus Forum in the end? There is a thread discussing modern intelligent storage heaters. They control heat output extremely well, actually feeling cool externally when not needed.

Edit:

I was fairly active on the Ovo forum, before I switched to Octopus. But because I’m not on an agile tariff it doesn’t seem possible to join the octopus agile forum. I was directed to agile@octopus.energy but no response after a fortnight. I appreciate they will be snowed under with emails from worried consumers.

You don’t need to be on Agile, although I was when I joined. You are supposed to be on a smart tariff. That includes Go, all varieties of Go Faster, Intelligent Octopus and Flexible for import and Outgoing Octopus and Agile Outgoing for export. There may be others that I’m not aware of. I’m currently on Go Faster (for cheap EV charging at night), but people are not kicked off for going onto dumb tariffs.
I helped @pottyone72 get an invitation without asking whether she was on a qualifying tariff and don’t know whether any checks were made down the line. (I’m not an Octopus employee, just keen to spread the word.)

1 Like