Configuring electricity imported and exported from the grid into Home Assistant (HEMS)

I notice that the HEMS with Home Assistant Dashboard has a method of doing this from > Energy Electricity , but the instructions as to how to do this get complicated because it refers to a number of difficult European meter systems. Has anyone worked out how and produced some simple instructions on how this can be done with a British Smart Meter?

Ideally, I want to monitor real-time (or near real-time) consumption from the grid and export back to the grid. I know it will require some sort of clamp and then there is a need to configure the 5 steps within the Electricity Grid module. But, it is not really clear how to do this.

I have used an Efergy montior to intergrate into Home Assistant - not sure if that would work with the HEMS instance, but worth a look: https://efergy.com/ - in fact the online Efergy portal might do what you want on its own.
Loop (loop.homes) can also talk direclty to your Smart Meter without upsetting your energy provider and that can monitor usage (maybe only consumpton?) as well.

It is possible to do this with a ShellyEM and a current clamp. If you also have a clamp on your solar feed, then you are able to identify your generation, export and infer your usage. This is something we have been trialing recently. I would be happy to speak to you further about this next week, or you can ask @matt when you next speak with him as well.

Thanks @epickering Would I be correct in thinking that Loop is about the same as the Powershaper Monitor that I already use.

Probably - but it does not require you to have an inhome display to connect - I am in a new build and we didn’t get one of those! ;-(