Calculating House Heat Loss for a Heat Pump

HI, I am just looking at how I can calculate my house heat loss in order to see if it would be feasible to switch to a heat pump before making any more improvements. Is there any useful guidance that I could look at? I was going to use gas consumption but our boiler has weather compensation (water temp varies a fair bit with outside temp). We tend to use it on/off for certain time periods.
I am currently working on a spreadsheet with room sizes and U values.

I could do with help with the cavity wall U value, it is concrete block internally a 50mm glass wool insulated cavity and external brick.

Hi @Steven_Draper. If you havenā€™t seen it, a good place to look is Trystan Leaā€™s video. The description has links to HP calculators.

U-value wise, lots of manufaturers have calculators, though they are often product specific. There are lots of tables of values around, a decent example being this one

Havenā€™t tried it myself but heard good things about using this: https://heatpunk.co.uk/home

For a completely different approach, and a lot less effort, you could try

2 Likes

And an article that includes the ā€œgas usage / 57.3ā€ plus some other methods (including HeetGeekā€™s) is

https://energy-stats.uk/what-size-heat-pump/

Hi all, thanks for your replies. @Tim_Gilbert I got 3kw for the rule of thumb from the video you linked, this was based on our current gas usage minus gas for cooking and hot water, I had stated in another thread I thought that was low, but we donā€™t run the heating constantly 24/7 at the moment.
The main thing for me is to work out if we need to do more improvements before changing to a heat pump or not.
I will look at the other suggestions and report back.

Certainly diversify your results. The ā€œRule of thumbā€ is only for rough guidance.

For comparison, I have a 4kW pump for a 4 bedroom semi, 250mm loft insulation, underfloor insulation between joists, uninsulated solid walls front and back, 2005 extension on the side, airtightness 7ach.

Hi all, so far I have tried using the MCS excel calculator, that was a struggle to get to work as I donā€™t have Microsoft excel. I have also tried the Heat Punk tool, that is very good to say it is free to use. I have got a good layout for ground floor except for the stairs and I am part way in doing the 1st floor, we have 2 bedrooms in the roof so I am trying to get that right. It has come up with a Samsung or Mitsubishi 6kw heat pump at the moment so about 4kw for heating and has highlighted shortfalls on radiators in some rooms. At least I can find out what to change radiators to in the short term and I may see if certain improvements like triple glazing will help lower the heat loss.

Also so far I canā€™t see a way of setting a hot water usage, this will depend on the number of occupants.

Hi, I do not have a heat pump and probably will not have one for a couple of years. To determine our heating requirements I used a variety of calculations based on what I needed i.e. heat loss (size of room, external walls etc)= justification to do work and having a target in mind for a result, radiator size depending on normal and extreme scenarios Tā„ƒ gap (what it is and what I consider comfortable and how quick to warm up). I use multiple temperature monitors to check zones and overall heat loss performance. I monitored temperature drop in the house between switching off heating at night and getting up next morning + external temperatures which gave me a decrement value for temperatures >0 & <0ā„ƒ. Combining insulation with the way we run the heating system, we can restrict overnight heat loss to <2.5ā„ƒ for the coldest temperatures we have experienced since 2019. Hope this helps

Although that is the official calculator for MCS approval (and therefore grants) it isnā€™t very accurate. There are many stories of it being way out compared with measured results.