Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS)

It is fortunate to have the space in the basement. Before the room contained a lonely Paul Novus 300 MVHR unit so it is nice that it now has some company. What you see is all ASHP specific, with the hot water cylinder, buffer cylinder, expansion vessels, and all the pipework. There are some electrical controls out of sight next to the cylinder with trunking next to the ceiling.

A Mellor Plumbing & Heating Services Ltd, Rochdale

01706 351006
I dealt with Anthony Mellor and Kieran Byron
It’s early days but I can highly recommend them. Please get in touch directly if you would like more information - julian@juliantomlin.com

1 Like

The installers have told me that they will receive the BUS payment seven days after the install which is good news for all installers out there who may have been worried about how long they would have to wait for payment.
By the way I didn’t put the splash feature in my last post. I just put the website address in my post.

2 Likes

I have just applied for this scheme. So far so good. I was surprised that I needed to confirm “The property is not being used to provide social housing.” Unless there is another scheme for social housing that seems a very unreasonable requirement.

I have got to the stage where Ofgem check that I am who I say I am by using Experian. They professed no knowledge of me and I need to prove ID and address. Obviously Experian don’t have my latest address. I only moved in 39 years ago.

Sorry; but at 39 years you are a newcomer, Tim. Until you and your family have lived several generations in our village you won’t really be a bona fide, permanent resident. We’re only 35 years here so far. Not to say that everyone isn’t friendly, but I myself in my turn try not to get too friendly with people who haven’t been here for at least for 20 years. :grin: After all, for all I know they could be gone tomorrow. All of which goes to show that you really need to be a farming or landowning family to be true locals. Experian have obviously built something along these lines into their algorithm.

I experienced a little of the same as a child but we were relatively quickly assimilated as my father was the new doctor and I joined the Young Farmers.

Does any one on here have experience of using Octopus for ASHP installs? They’ve given me a fixed quote for a ‘standard install’ which includes ASHP (Daikin), hot water tank and any necessary radiator upgrades for £2750 after the £7500 BUS grant is taken off- which is tempting- I guess this may be revised after they do their survey but a local installer has already told me there quote will not be below this. I would like to dump excess PV to the cyclinder which may make it not a standard install? (also worried about the size of some of the pipework to a few of the radiators). Struggling to find customer reviews and worried that the mass approach will mean a poorer design?

It seems that in order to meet majority targets, rather than customised ones, Octopus use a 50°C design temperature. This can result in an oversized and therefore unnecessary inefficient system. The standard response from purchasers should be to request a smaller unit. Also the system is left after commissioning at a set 50°C, with advice that the system does not need any customer adjustment. This is totally misguided. All heat pump installations need adjusting to match the requirements of the house and occupants.

I recommend that you change to weather compensation rather than fixed temperature (“set point” in the jargon). Start off with 50°C flow at the design temperature, which will be in your paperwork and probably -3°C, and 21°C flow at outside temperature of 21°C, in other words, off. Then over the next few days tweak the heat level to match your requirements.

The last few days our Daikin heat pump has been selecting 28-35°C depending on the outside temperature and indoors has been nice and comfortable.

For reference, I have a 4 bedroom semi with a 6kWunit.

Oops, I missed this.

How do you currently dump your excess PV?

Hi, I don’t currently, just sell it back to the grid at a pretty low rate, just spoke to Octopus and they suggested that I get am iboost or eddie installed before Octopus come (as they.don’t do it) but then they can integrate it with their heat pump. Apparently their design flow temp is 50 amd he pretty much admitted they do that for a bit of headroom but that when they do the design we can ask for them to look at the implications of having a lower temp. Apparently if we pay the £500 fee we can decide not to go with them amd get the money back until just before install so think I will see what they come up with at least.

Also meant to say thanks for previous post- we are a 4 bed semi (plus box room)- so interesting to have a ball park comparison.

I had an Eddi already and it is no more work for the HP installer to connect to that than to the immersion heater.
Once an Eddi is connected nothing else should go direct to the immersion heater. You will need the optional relay board fitted in your Eddi. The HP will then trigger a relay to start the immersion heater.
The Eddi does not have to be near the immersion heater. It can be anywhere along the spur from consumer unit, aka “fuse box”, and immersion. Mine is right by the consumer unit, which is ideal for monitoring the power supply/export and also where the heat pump wiring ends up.

What rating is your main fuse? The Eddi will need to be told when installed and again if you upgrade your fuse. This only really makes a difference when running the immersion from the grid.

Hi Lisa - I started a quote from Octopus a while ago, but wasn’t very imprssed with either their “One size fits all” approach, or their sales patter (was like from 1980s double glazing sales!).
They seem to be oversizing and insiting on lots of new radiators.
I live in a 4 bed new build (2021) which is an EPC B. Yes it has microbore pipes, but I’m not ripping them all out just because other solutions haven’t been offered. That said their are clearly some people who have got on with this fine - i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbhxU1kFmAM

At the moment I have my gas boiler on 45C flow temp (heating only) and its fine. Will see when in gets colder if I can get it down to 40C without anyone complaining!

So I also tried to get a quote from a Daikin installer - who eventually turned up, did a heat loss survey and then never got back in touch…

And Plan C is now to get an Ebac Heat Pump (probably a 9kW one) - because:
a) They are just up the road from me - everything is designed and manufacturered in the UK
b) They have come out with a local experienced installer to work out how it will all work
c) They use the https://www.homelyenergy.com/ controller which looks really good
d) With the BUS grant it might not even cost me anything!

I also have Solar and and Eddi, and my view is just keep the ASHP and the Eddi seperate - if the tank is full then your solar will export and the heat pump should know not to heat it - simples!

Sorry a awful lot here to digest, but I think that’s the problem - “one size fits all” don’t work!

I live in a 4 bed upper C band house and happily use a 6kW ASHP, flow temperature currently in the low thirties. Why do you think you need 9kW?

If you buy a heat pump that can also control your immersion heater (most, if not all of them) you will need to link it to your Eddi, as I have done. An immersion heater cannot be controlled by any switch or device other than the Eddi, once it is fitted.
You will need to fit the optional relay board in your Eddi, a diy job, and then get the heat pump installers to wire the heat pump’s immersion demand to the relay board. There should be no extra cost from them for this as it is no more work than wiring in the immersion direct would have been. Myenergi publish the wiring diagram in the Eddi installation instructions.

Does anyone have experience of installers in London?

I am just outside north east London. I used Terra Therma and was happy with them apart from them using a third party thermostat on my Daikin.