Are Rural Community Heating Networks Sustainable?

This online event may be of interest to some people. It takes place at 16:00 hrs this coming Wednesday 7 December 2022.

More details can be found at

I’m chairing the event. Let me know if you have any questions that you want to ask?

1 Like

I have a few questions.

Since heat pumps are becoming recognized as the only viable way to decarbonise heat, even compared to a few years ago, would you now consider a hybrid approach of low temperature heat networks and water to water heat pumps, to upgrade heat to the necessary temperatures of the building after distribution? (As found in Finland)

If time is short: what low temperature heat networks (5th Gen etc) case studies are being considered for low population density areas?

1 Like

I have heard of this concept before (I have a niece in Finland). The low(er) flow temperature looses Les heat than a high temperature one and lends itself better to distance.

1 Like

Thanks @Frank_Reif I will try to get the question answered. In fact we have just got another speaker who will now cover a few more examples that are at a feasibility stage - one of which will cover the potential of Water to Air Heat pump using a disused canal.

Make sure you book to attend. If you can’t make it you will be able to watch the recording - if you book.

More information about the event:-

Swaffham Prior has led the way in the UK, to be the first village to develop a rural heat network. The mix of air source and ground source heat pumps have capacity to supply 1.7MW of heat to 300 homes located in Swaffham Prior. Let’s ask the stakeholder: what were the key challenges and benefits from the Swaffham Prior Heat Network project?

Speakers include:

•   Emma Fletcher, Swaffham Prior Community Land Trust

•   Sheryl French, Programme Director, Mobilising Action on Climate Change and Local Energy Investment, Cambridgeshire County Council

•   Miles Messenger, Energy Engineering Director, Bouygues Energies & Services UK

•   James Shedlon, Senior Project Manager, Bioregional

•   Mike Barker, Homeowners

•   John Tang Jensen, Senior Policy Adviser, Clean Heat Directorate, BEIS

I suppose I just want to make viewers aware that heat networks are very well established and becoming quite advance. We would do well to look towards countries that have had them for 70 years.

Peter Anderberg HEATACADEMY Peter.Anderberg@heatacademy.eu is very well placed to help.

1 Like

@Peter_Bates Are you able to post a link to the recording please?

@Ben_Partridge its not available but it should be in the next few days.

@Ben_Partridge The video of the events now available on You Tube at Are Rural Community Heating Networks Sustainable? (Swaffham Prior) - YouTube

2 Likes