Accessing funding for energy saving measures - Green Homes Grant

Blimey Tom - they must have been expecting trouble to send three guys round!

2 Likes

In my opinion energy companies should be banned from bidding for energy saving contracts, particularly anything as big as retrofit but unfortunately that would be illegal as it contravenes competition laws, and probably others.

1 Like

An update, hopefully with some useful information on how the scheme is working.

My survey was on 22 September resulting in a new EPC. I wasnā€™t surprised that it contained some basic errors. However I was expecting technical surveys for the solar and heat pump.

I phoned E.on on 18 October - the message now says that if you had had a survey then it might take 8 weeks to get an update. I was told that this referred to the admin team getting in touch.

On 20 October I had an email from the assessor stating that the EPC had been audited and that the invoices supplied for the work to the internal wall insulation, room in the roof insulation and underfloor insulation were not acceptable evidence and that they required warranties or Building Control Certificates. He had 7 days to appeal. I responded by resupplying PDFs of the architectā€™s drawings, invoices, and the Building Control Certificate to replace the assessorā€™s camera photos of the documents. I had been given no warning that any of this documentation would be required, nor that a new EPC would be generated from the survey.

On 27 October the assessor visited again to check the underfloor insulation. I provided photos of this and the internal wall insulation before plastering. He also followed up a query from the EPC accreditation team about the Vaillant vSmart heating control as changes to the programme could only be made by an app rather than on a programmer/thermostat (unlike a Google Nest). The Vaillant programmer/thermostat only allows for the temperature to be raised or lowered, overriding the programme when necessary. As the programme could not be set on the physical device, he would have to record it as a simple thermostat.

A new EPC based on the assessment on 22 September was registered on 2 November. It was still flawed but at least the insulation works were accepted. The house was rated D (61) compared to the EPC from 20 September that I commissioned which gave a rating of D (67).

On 28 October I emailed the Grant team to ask them if they would be able to fund both solar PV and the air source heat pump, referring Tom_Shepherdā€™s comment from 12 August on funding in excess of Ā£10,000. They replied stating the grant was limited to Ā£10,000 and that they could only fund one option. Options also included underfloor insulation, that is the solid basement floor. I replied saying that I would like to proceed with the solar PV. I intend to pursue the air source heat pump separately and secure the RHI while it still exists. An automatically generated email was received the same day which needed me to approve the terms and conditions after which someone would get in touch within 10 working days, though the way forward wasnā€™t clear from the email or website.

On 8 November E.on got in touch to arrange a survey for the solar PV on 11 November by FaceTime although it was done by phone. I supplied a great deal of information before the call including floor plans and elevations and aerial photos (from Apple Maps) and some suggestions for the layout. I was hoping to see a drone fly over the roof but instead the simplest (Microsoft Paint style) out of scale drawing was provided, with scope only for 7 panels. There was very little flexibility in what could be provided ā€“ the basic E.on 8 panel package with no internal cabling! We are still discussing how to route a cable from the roof to the basement and how to maximise the number of panels. I had wanted to have the panels installed in a tray system but this I was told wasnā€™t possible; it is a more expensive system so this wasnā€™t surprising. It seems that the surveyor, if he feels that the scheme is feasible, will produce a spec which would go to one or more of their installers.

2 Likes

Today we had movement from Eon in regards to having our assessment for wall insulation.
We had a visit from a robot :joy:ā€¦
This was a man wearing a special camera on his head .
He basically walked around the whole house , scanning in the measurements and thickness of the walls. Iā€™m not sure if the had infra red too.
It all sounded very Hi-Tech, but unfortunately I didnā€™t get to ask any questions or see because I was in workā€¦

It didnā€™t take them long. If this equipment can get all the details needed for a retrofit survey , it potentially should be cheaper than having the survey manually - our first survey with Eon took 4 hours!!

Iā€™m watching this space with interest . Still a long way to go here with the LADS funding though. Itā€™s good that theyā€™re being thorough though - One thing we all seem to know here is we have to get retro fit right.

I will keep you posted :+1:t3:

After 6 months of waiting for a decision about EWI from the LADS grant via EON, we seem to have gotten a decision from them in a phone call this evening.
Weā€™d accepted a quote for Ā£0 to do the work, then we received another quote this week for over Ā£19,000 for the same work ??? We contacted EON to explain this - but havenā€™t had a reply yet.
Additionally, weā€™d still not spoken to an EWI installer.

Our house is a period semi with Victorian features, which we hoped to keep at the front of the house - we were hopeful that perhaps brick slips could be used there or that we could insulate the side and the back of the house externally , then internally insulate at the front.

Speaking with an a supervisor from Eon this evening, he wanted to make an appointment for a wall insulation installer to come and look at the house - I explained that we would like this and asked about the insulation process. He said that in looking at our house online, he raised concerns about scaffolding over our lean to kitchen roof , that he didnā€™t think it was possible and we wouldnā€™t be able to to insulate the first floor above the kitchen and the ground floor extension at the back wouldnā€™t need insulating because its cavity wall.
Discussing the front of the house , he stated that they only do EWi if it is a full wrap and it all has to rendered - brick slips arenā€™t an option.
So it looks like weā€™re not eligible based on our house being complicated :roll_eyes: and our not wanting to lose the period features at the front.

We have mixed feelings about all of this ā€¦
Disappointed EON will only consider full house wraps of EWI
Concerned how this limits householders and will be off putting - there isnā€™t choice available for partial internal wall insulation, which can be done to enable householders to keep period features.
Materialistic - weighing up the issues our planet faces , our concern for aesthetics of keeping period features feels selfish and unpractical.
Additionally , we feel baffled that we have not been able to access the LADS grant in any way, despite our eligibility.
We do need windows - our double glazing is over 20 years old and failing - yet they wonā€™t replace it.
Solar wasnā€™t an option because our roof needs attention first.
We applied for a heat pump - they told us we need insulation.
So we applied for insulation and after 6 long months we have basically been told no to anything other that full wrap and render EWI , but they canā€™t do it anyway because the kitchen roof prevents scaffolding from being erected :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
All in all, on top of everything my family have been through - the green grant has been a very large additional stress we didnā€™t need. It has completely hindered our original retrofit plans.
Just canā€™t believe it took 6 months to get this conclusion from EON.
Iā€™d also be really interested to know how many homes will actually be externally insulated in Manchester through the LADS grant to enable decarbonisation this year.

Our opinion of the LADS rollout - :-1:t3:

For other reasons we had scaffolding bridged over our single storey extension. The bridge was 6m wide. There was no contact between extension and scaffolding.

EON & LADS seem to have a very narrow definition of what is allowed/possible. Most government green schemes do seem designed to fail and this looks little different.

I feel everything you say Tim. Itā€™s shambolic and very concerning for the planet.
Iā€™m resourceful - I will find a way and I am nowhere near as in need as other citizens who will be absolutely desperate for help.

I really want to see the figures for what progress is being made with this LADS rollout in Manchester.

The funds will be fully utilised but if you look closely it will be 90% administration and 10% retrofit.

That will account for my Ā£0 quote from Eon for the EWI, which later changed to over Ā£19,000.
Itā€™s incredibly deflating to know that our councils are allowing this to happen.

If possible get a full spec for the proposed >Ā£19,000 job. It could prove useful later but donā€™t assume that it is the best solution. There is a good chance, however, that it is the best option within the constraints of the LADS scheme.

Incidentally, if you do go for EWI there is no reason why you canā€™t include the kitchen, provided it has full fill cavity insulation already. One area of wall that often gets omitted is the bit hidden by the lean to roof. It isnā€™t a problem if the kitchen has a warm roof but a huge thermal bridge otherwise.

Another update and things are moving forward

I negotiated with E.on how to resolve the issue of their solar installers not being allowed to include more than 1m of internal cabling thanks to a very helpful installation manager. He agreed that if we installed conduit in the undercroft (with a pull through string!) they could install the cable from the outside wall through to the consumer unit. This was done at my expense. Separately I had to arrange for my energy supplier to fit an isolator switch in the meter cupboard; that was free of charge. After pressing E.on over the layout they agreed that 8 panels could be fitted ā€“ the maximum allowed under the contract.

The installers are now local following the E.onā€™s original company not having the capacity to meet the agreed date. E.on accommodated my request to use the same company that I had arranged to carry out the second (non-funded) phase of solar panels. The second phase will have to be a separate contract.

I arranged for a roofing contractor to reroof the rear of the house giving it a suitable membrane with defective slates replaced. The chimney is being removed as it needs maintenance once again, would cause shading on the panels and it would reduce the ability to add more panels. These works should improve the effectiveness of the attic insulation and air tightness. I subsequently found out that E.on wouldnā€™t have allowed the solar panels to be installed on the existing roof as they were concerned about damage to the slates.

Through discussions with a heat pump installer I discovered some advantages of adding a Tesla battery at this stage. I understand that VAT would be charged at 5% if solar and a battery were installed together and, with a Tesla battery, a very favourable tariff from Octopus Energy would be available. Currently the tariff is 10p per kWh to import and 10p per kWh for export electricity. The battery would form part of a Tesla Virtual Power Plant and demand and export be controlled through this. Whilst this seems restrictive it would save trying to manage peak and off peak loads and tariffs directly with the heat pump controller.

The reroofing work started on 4 February with the solar panels and the battery due to be installed on 21 February.

1 Like

The only person I know who has managed to procure anything on the current LADS rollout of the Green Grant got a new front and back door - each of them has a letter box.
How energy efficient is that :clap::clap::clap:
Here is her back door complete with a letter box in the kitchen !!

Nothing that a can of spray foam canā€™t put right.

Are you now the proud owner of 8 solar panels? My 50% grant in 2005 was also limited to 8 panels although there was room for 10.

Iā€™m a solutions driven person too and you are right Tim, being optimistic spray foam will sort it .

ā€¦ But fitting a back door with an unnecessary letter box is not good practice or representation for the grant scheme or householders whoā€™re desperately trying to save energy. Itā€™s completely contrary to the message being sent.
As well as this, the sad reality is some householders might not even be able to afford a can of spray foam.

Iā€™m still waiting to hear back about solar. Apparently the LADS funding should transfer over from last year to this year, but I was told it could also be pulled at any time.
So we may have missed the boat.Ww need to follow up with this.
Iā€™m regretting, that we went for a heat pump now - itā€™s clear now how many householders with solid walls failed on the no insulation score and then failed again trying to get insulation on the grant scheme. Costs for the necessary EWI far exceeded the maximum Ā£10,000 grant - which if you qualified for this - you wouldnā€™t have another Ā£10,000 of your own sat in the bank to make up the costs of over Ā£19,000 which we were quoted for the solid wall insulation.

These are the reasons I feel saddened and frustrated at the delivery of the grant scheme. Itā€™s not helping those vulnerable people who will be sat there with the heating off because they canā€™t afford to have it on.
We will definitely see carbon reduction this year - via the poor families in our country who wonā€™t put the heating on for fear of debt.

I too have solid walls and no EWI, although in my case the local council, who have declared a climate emergency, refused permission to install it on my bog standard inter-war semi of no architectural value. I was allowed to insulate the south and west sides as they do not face the road. There was no point in proceeding if the north was going to be left exposed.

I am taking part in the Carbon Co-opā€™s Heat Pump Challenge and doing ok so far.

Me too - with the heat pump challenge. Weā€™re doing okay. Itā€™s been a bit chilly for some of my household at times - our wool blankets have come in very handy on the coldest days. Personally, I do prefer not to be too stifled with heating and donā€™t mind the blanket option. Not sure about the rest of my family though!!

Thanks Tim ā€¦I missed this bit about the 6m extended bridge of scaffolding you had. So itā€™s not such an impossibility to erect scaffolding over my kitchen either then.

Just been taking a look at the LADS rollout for this year and ECO4.
Iā€™m really not sure what will happen with my previous application from last May. Itā€™s supposed to be still active, but I believe as weā€™ve started a new tax year the grant funding can roll over or even be pulled.

I did find this link thoughā€¦ about ECO4.
One thing that jumped out is the mention of a qualifying EPC band D (that used to C) - the aim is for all homes to have an EPC of D by 2025.
Here is the link to what I am reading. As with most links - Iā€™m not sure of itā€™s reliability - it seems to be a good source, but please let me know if it isnā€™t reputable. we definitely need the correct facts on here.
https://www.energygrants.org.uk/eco4

In addition the above link I found this one which seems more reputable and clearly is information from ECO4 not offering business.
https://eco4.org.uk/eco-funding/ECO4/#:~:text=ECO4%20is%20a%20government%20energy%20efficiency%20scheme%20in,tackle%20fuel%20poverty%20and%20help%20reduce%20carbon%20emissions.

Thanks for the question Tim. This is a brief update on the Greater Manchester Green Homes Grant scheme and my application for solar PV which was successful but not without a number of significant hoops to get through.

The 8 panels funded by the grant have been installed, along with 6 additional panels that I paid for. This gives a total output of 5.11kW instead of 2.64kW which is more suitable for the size of the house (4 bedrooms, c180m2). The Tesla Gateway 2 has also been installed with the battery to follow, hopefully in April. Installing additional panels seemed sensible as the scaffolding was already up, and the battery at the time of initial enquiry attracted the lower rate of 5% VAT as it is being installed with the solar panels. Such combined installations now attract 0% VAT following the Spring Statement.

As in my previous post, the intention is to take advantage of one of the Octopus tariffs, the most attractive of which seems to be the Tesla Energy Plan. I have signed up for this and it seems to be applied just to the import tariff for now (as the battery has not been installed).

On a separate but linked subject I tried unsuccessfully to secure a heat pump in time to claim RHI before it disappeared at the end of March. Unfortunately, I was let down by an installer earlier in the year, and there were severe supply shortages.

I am now looking at installing a heat pump under the BUS (Boiler Upgrade Scheme) getting quotes from a number of suppliers. These might include the proposed offer due from Octopus as heat pump installers How Octopus Energy is driving the heat pump revolution | Octopus Energy.