EVSE Control charge rate

I have found that with solar edge as well, now I use the Tesla powerwall to tell me the generation

Mines a SMA Sunny Boy 3000

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/sma/ This shows how it can be added to Home assistant, however I think this isn’t available on the HEMS, maybe someone from the Carbon COOP team can add it?

Hi Simon, looks like that integration still has to be installed through yaml. It would be good to trial it. If you send on the details needed I will see if I can configure it for you. Drop me a PM.

Hi Peter, its not for me, just a suggestion for Simon, I’ve got my powerwall feeding me the data I need thanks

2 Likes

This was also something requested by @epickering in another thread:

So it might be worth following up with them as well if you are looking for a couple of people to give it a test run.

Hi @mattfranklin. I would also be interested in this my inverter is a SMA Sunny Boy 3600. I do not currently have any monitoring for my panels.

So I have a Sunny Boy 3600TL-21 which was installed in 2017 and uses the basic built in SMA system that sends data to SMA and then you access it via sunnyportal.com - the more modern inverters use SMA Connect which has a Home Assistant intergration - took a while to figure out the difference, but it should work.
In the meantime I may have to use a packet sniffer to extract live data from the feed from my inverter and sunnyportal.com:wink:

I would also be very interested in doing this as I have two Solar PV array at 1.2 and a 2.6 both with a SMA inverter.

I’m trying to work out the method of setting the charging period with my EVSE to charge my Nissan Leaf.

The first thing that I need to know is what state do I leave the Leaf on-board Timer in order that it does not interfere with the HEMS control.
Then with @ben help I have an EV Charger Control (off/on) which plus an the EV Scheduler should control the EV charger. I’m assuming I either use the EV Charger Control or EV Scheduler, so the EV Charger Control is in an off state when I use the EV Scheduler??

Anyone had an experience of using the HEMS to control the charging of the Nissan Leaf?

I’ve done it with my Tesla but the concept is the same. Turn off any charging scheduling in the leaf, this way, whenever the evse is turned on, the leaf will charge.

With the evse the default state wants to be off. This way you can get home, plug in the leaf straight away, but it won’t necessarily start charging.

Next in the HEMS you can set up your scheduling, for when your evse wants to turn on and off.

The final step (this is where I can’t help as I have a different setup) is to create an automation that turns on the evse when the solar output is adequate and off again when it isn’t. I have a different solar system and I’m using a different home automation system to control this

1 Like

Thanks @Oscar_Scott . Currently, I’m having problems with getting the Nissan Leaf to stop charging when the charger is plugged into the EmonEVSE. I want to get the Leaf and the EV Charger in a ready state - so that it will only start charging when the EV Scheduler is set to turn on. I think I have the EV Scheduler card set-up correctly to do this. But I need to figure out how to stop it charging before the EV Scheduler card gives the instruction to do it.

Has anyone with a Nissan Leaf been able to set up the Charging schedule from within the HEMS rather than direct from the Leaf?

You need to ensure that the EVSE is off or sleeping when you plug in the leaf. That way the leaf cannot draw power from the charger. You can create your own automation in home assistant to send the on and off commands to the EVSE. Easiest way to do this is to copy the powershaper event on and off automations and change the triggers to whatever you want.
In my case I use a switch, but you might want to just use a timer?

don’t forget to then edit the powershaper event end automation with a condition, to only turn the evse back on after a powershaper event has ended if your other trigger is also calling for the EVSE to be on.

Hope that all makes sense

Thanks @Oscar_Scott , yes I have now been able to stop it charging when I plug it in. I’ve done this by pressing the silver button on the right hand side of the charger to select sleeping. The charger seems to respond roughly to the timer settings that I set up in HEMS EV Scheduler - but it still does not charge up the EV.

However, I’m currently investigating whether the EVSE needs to have a Firmware upgrade - that was not done before a replacement charger was sent out to me.

Do you have the card that deals with this? I can’t seem to find it. Or perhaps @peter can add it be my dashboard. I may have already set up a similar card but I want to double check that it is correct.

You should be able to find the automations under ‘configuration’ on the left side of the HEMS interface. Then I think it’s called powershaper event start and end

The only one I can see is “Stop charging when price goes above 25p/kWh” Is this this it?

@Simon_Hudson sorry i realised i promised to send out a grid feed sensor which would enable the solar divert function (in absence of something else that would do this). I have promised one to someone else in meantime so will be making up a batch this week. Is this something that you are still interested in? Anyone else?

1 Like

@ben I could be interested, but can you explain exactly what is does?

Can people share what I need to do to use the EVSE Car charger to slow charge from my PV (obviously when we have longer days).

Is it easy to set up ?

Thanks in advance.